Sep 24, 2009

I wonder - by Jeanne Kirby




I Wonder
by Jeannie Kirby

I wonder why the grass is green,
And why the wind is never seen
Who taught the birds to build a nest,
And told the trees to take a rest?
And when the moon is not quite round,
Where can the missing bit be found?
Who lights the stars, when they blow out,
And makes the lightning flash about?
Who paints the rainbow in the sky,
And hangs the fluffy clouds so high?
Why is it now, do you suppose,
That Dad won’t tell me if he knows?

CPS review:

the poem use of questions instills the feeling of reflective. the persona question the world order, who, what and why does "things" happens. the things that happened in the poem were majestic and miracles, that cannot be done or comprehended by human.

the last two line have a connotation to religious, in particular, Christianity, as God in Christianity was symbolised as the father. and thus, the meaning of the poem was that humans are young, powerless and cannot understand the whole world. the poem also suggested that human will eventually learn, but God do not give the whole knowledge, unless human seek it. the knowledge seek was the true knowledge, the understanding of the all powerful God and the capacity of human understanding. the point to be discuss here was that whether the human have the capacity to understand the whole concept of "true knowledge"?

but, if the poem were read through the eye of an innocent child, the line may means the father of the child, as child usually will ask anything from the parents. all the questions will then referred as the child's observations of the world. the inquisitive feelings that child have plus the naivety of understanding how the world move.

both interpretation above suggested knowledge gained through asking, human@child will not gain the whole knowledge, but will eventually learn bit by bit. it also stressed on the need of a guider@teacher@father to guide the human@child.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of writing something for my blog when I thought of the poem 'I wonder why'. Too lazy to look for the book on poetry I googled. By chance I was directed here, rather a surprise. I like the beautiful picture on top. Perhaps I may download it one day, with your permission of course.

    I will coming round again to see what you have written. Until then salaam hormat from Pakcik.

    ReplyDelete
  2. salam pakcik..thanks for visiting and thank you for the comment..yes, i give the permission for u to download the pic.. plz do link ur blog with mine, thus we can build the relationship..

    ReplyDelete